Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Goodreads Choice Awards 2020 Final Round

This is it, readers. The voting has opened for the final round of the 2020 Goodreads Choice Awards. This is the round that really breaks hearts, as many favorites get eliminated and left out of the final ten for their categories. I am always a little apprehensive to click the link and see if the books I voted for made it through, or if they failed to get enough votes to push to the end. I guess we will see...

The good news: All is well in the Best Fiction category, with all four DSNs that were originally nominated till holding strong. But it breaks my heart to see the same is not true for Best Historical Fiction. My pick, Deacon King Kong by James McBride, has not made it into the finals, and that makes me so sad. I adore this book. So after much thought, I am switching my vote to The Vanished Half by Brit Bennett.  

And the heartbreak continues in the Best Science Fiction category with the loss of The Vanished Birds by Simon Jimenez, another favorite of mine, which means I will be switching my vote to Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi. 

Silvia Moreno-Garcia's Mexican Gothic is holding strong in the Best Horror Category. And while the same can be said for Hollywood Park by Mikel Jollett in Best Memoir & Autobiography, sadly, Notes on a Silencing by Lacy Crawford did not make the cut, which is a shame because it is also a great book. 

In my opinion, Caste by Isabel Wilkerson deserves to win Best History & Autobiography; I have been recommending that book to everyone. Unfortunately, Almost American Girl by Robin Ha has disappeared from Best Graphic Novels & Comics, leaving that category without a DSN to represent it. 

My Dark Vanessa also manages to remain in the Best Debut Novel category, and it will be interesting to see if it can manage to snag both this category and Best Fiction, both of which have some incredible competition. 

And in another competitive category, my favorite for Best Young Adult Fiction, Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo, remains a strong contender. But Tiffany D. Jackson's Grown has been left out. But both DSNs that were nominated for Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction are standing firm, but being that they are Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi and The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins, that is not surprising.  

So, down from 20 DSNs to 15, and a few of the now eliminated five were my personal favorites. But that is just how it is this year, and I am still excited to see the results.

The voting for the final round closes on Monday, November 30th, and the winners will be announced on Tuesday, December 8th. This is certainly getting interesting, and I wish all of the nominees the best of luck.


No comments: