Friday, April 23, 2021

Door Stop: The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

Like many readers, my 'to read' list is all over the place, and of course includes books that I either bought, or were given to me an incredibly long time ago, and I have yet to actually read. The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe is one such book, and has been for close to 20 years. So I figured there was no better time than a pandemic to finally pick it up and finish it.

Genre, Themes, History: The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe is a collection put together by Barnes & Noble of the most noteworthy works of the early 19th century writer. The well-known and well-loved poem "The Raven" is present, as are short stories such as "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Fall of the House of Usher," and "The Cask of Amontillado." Following the poems and short stories, and ending the collection is Poe's novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, which chronicles the harrowing adventure of Arthur Pym as he describes the many disasters the befall him on a trip out to sea. Most associate the work of Poe with dark imagery, despairing characters, and plotlines that deal with premature burial (both intentional and unintentional), as well as death and madness. What is often forgotten is that Poe also wrote satires and humorous stories with characters that are clearly unhinged, but resolute in their focus on an absurd task. Reading all of the works together will definitely reveal a certain continuation in theme and style for anyone willing to look for it.

My Verdict: I have said it many times that poetry is not really my thing, and that remains true, as "The Raven" is still the only one of Poe's poems that I enjoy. However, I did discover quite a few short stories that I had never read before, such as "How to Write  a Blackwood Article" and "A Predicament." Both stories contain ridiculous advice for writing articles, with "A Predicament" ultimately ending with *spoiler alert* the author allegedly having her head head cut off by the hands of a giant clock in an attempt to get the perfect story. But one story I always knew about but had never read was "The Pit and the Pendulum," which has now replaced "The Cask of Amontillado" as my new favorite short story written by Poe. It is terrifying in the best way (for those who enjoy horror stories), and would be a great way to introduce Poe's work to anyone who is unfamiliar. Of course, not every story or poem is as engaging as the ones mentioned - at least not for me - but I recommend this collection to anyone looking for a crash course in the gothic writer's work.

Favorite Story: I already mentioned how much I enjoyed "The Pit and the Pendulum." A man finds himself trapped in a dark room during the Spanish Inquisition, and must figure out how to survive, not realizing the many different types of traps and tortures that await him.

Favorite Poem: I recommend that everyone read "The Raven" at least once in their lives. And then follow it up with the clip from The Simpsons' original "Treehouse of Horror" episode, narrated by James Earl Jones.

Recommended Reading: I recommend Bram Stoker's Dracula if you wish to continue with the classic horror theme. 

No comments: