Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Goodreads Choice Awards 2012

It's back! The annual Goodreads Choice Awards has started back up again with the first round of voting. After three total rounds of voting, winners will be chosen in each category (which include fiction, historical fiction, young adult fiction, fantasy, poetry humor, etc.) and announced on Tuesday, December 4th.

With 15 nominees in each of the 20 categories during the opening round, there are plenty of titles to choose from. The opening round closes Sunday, November 11th, so you do have some time to make up your minds. Haven't read any of the titles you see? Not to worry. You can actually write in a nominee if you choose (and I know it is tempting, but please, no "Bart Simpson" write-ins mkay?). 

One of my personal favorites from this past year, John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, has been included in the Best Young Adult Fiction category, so I know what I'll be voting for in that category. Also, Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her has been nominated for Best fiction, and I believe it has a very strong chance of taking that award. And not surprising in the least, Laura Moriarty's The Chaperone has made it into the category for Best Historical Fiction. I believe it will definitely make it very far, maybe even take the win in the category. People are generally pretty crazy about this book and it enjoys a very loyal following.

Another personal favorite made the Best Nonfiction category, and that is Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I really have my fingers crossed for this one as I believe both introverts and extroverts can benefit greatly from this book.

Other books that I have blogged about and have made the lists of nominees include Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth for Best Science Fiction, Christopher Moore's Sacre Bleu for Best Humor, and Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl (upcoming blog post) for Best Mystery & Thriller and Best Goodreads Author. While I believe all three have a fighting chance, they didn't necessarily make my personal favorites lists for 2012. But despite my own personal opinions, I can definitely see Gone Girl going the distance in the Best Mystery & Thriller category.

If I were tempted to do a write-in, I would choose Courtney Summer's This Is Not a Test for the Goodreads Author category. I don't think it could compete with John Green's The Fault in Our Stars for Best Young Adult Fiction, but I think it belongs somewhere among the first round nominees.

You can begin voting here http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards. This is the only major book award that is decided by readers, and I think that is pretty cool.

No comments: