Friday, July 30, 2021

Nonfiction: The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green

One of the authors I credit with reintroducing me to young adult fiction is John Green. The first book I read of his is Paper Towns, and it is still my favorite, though Looking for Alaska is a close second. Today I will talk about The Anthropocene Reviewed, which is Green's first nonfiction offering. Both essay and memoir, Green rates a handful places, events, and phenomena that make up the human experience.

Genre, Themes, History: This is a nonfiction book containing 44 essays, along with an introduction and postscript, in which Green reviews and rates various things on a five star scale. The title of the book refers to the geological epoch that includes the beginning of significant human impact on the Earth. In no particular order (as far as I can tell), Green explores Halley's Comet, the human capacity to wonder, CNN, googling strangers, plague, the QWERTY keyboard, and even Diet Dr. Pepper, as well as many other subjects. Often the review includes an anecdote from Green's childhood, college years, or even more recent past. He is open and honest about his health issues (including mental health), his love of soccer and the Indianapolis 500, and the general struggle over what it means to be human in this human-centered planet. 

My Verdict: This book turned out to be more or less what I expected, and that is a good thing, because I expected a profound, yet uncomplicated and often funny look at humanity and what encompasses life on this planet. What I have loved about Green's young adult fiction books are their unique but accessible way of looking at life, and that same feature has been carried over to this book. And while not every chapter includes a bit of joy and wonder - the ones about CNN and the plague come to mind - they are at least informative, and I can honestly say I learned something new in every essay. What Green manages to capture, especially when it comes to our current situation during this pandemic, is that it is so easy to lose hope and wonder what the point is. And then something, usually something small, will remind us, though it may take some time. The randomness of the organization can either be frustrating, or part of the charm, and really, the choice is up to the reader. 

Favorite Essays: I especially loved "Auld Lang Syne" and "Super Mario Kart."  

Favorite Quotes: "We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here." - sung to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne." 

"We are so small, and so frail, so gloriously and terrifyingly temporary." 

Recommended Reading: I recommend all of Green's YA novels, but also You Are Here by Jenny Lawson, which may be more coloring book than book, but still, it is wonderful. 

No comments: