Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Goodreads Choice Awards 2018 Semifinal Round

And just like that, we are already in the second round of voting for the 2018 Goodreads Choice Awards. We already saw 17 DSNs nominated in the initial round, and now that an additional five books have been added to each category (except for Best of Best), it'll be fun so see what other titles will make an appearance.

Immediately, with Best Fiction, we have the addition of Hank Green's An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, but I will be sticking with my original choice of An American Marriage by Tayari Jones. While I am not surprised at the addition of Green's debut novel, I can't say I believe it to be one of the best books of the year. More than likely it stems from my severe dislike of the main character, but there we are.

I am thrilled to see that Dot Hutchison's The Summer Children has been added to the Best Horror category. I will certainly be giving it my vote, as this series is one of the best horror series going today. However, it is not for the faint at heart as it often deals with horrific crimes against children.

Another wonderful additional is Gone Rogue, the second in the Wires and Nerve series by Marissa Meyer. I may be sticking with my initial vote for Herding Cats by Sarah Andersen, but Gone Rogue is a wonderful story that branches off from Meyer's wildly popular The Lunar Chronicles series.

It looks like Green's An Absolutely Remarkable Thing has also been added to the Best Debut Author category, and again, I get it (sort of), but I am sticking with my original choice. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi is, for many, the book of the year, and I happen to agree.  

I had a feeling Legendary by Stephanie Garber would show up in the Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction category. In fact, I was shocked it did not appear in the first round, but these categories get tougher every year, and competition is always stiff. With that being said, I will once again stick with Adeyemi's Children of Blood and Bone.

So there we have it. Four more DSNs have been added across five categories. The semifinal round of voting will close Sunday, November 11, with the third and final round opening on Tuesday, November 13. So get to voting! In the next round, each category will be cut in half, so make sure to show up and vote for your favorites.

No comments: