Monday, November 10, 2014

Goodreads Choice Awards 2014 Semifinal Round

So the Semifinal Round of the 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards has begun, and just like in previous years, five more books have been added to each category, because choosing from the original 15 just wasn't difficult enough. My initial recap of the first round of voting can be found here.

I am delighted to report that Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Mars has made it onto the official ballot for Best Science Fiction. And hopefully we won't have a repeat of last year when the The Long Mars made it into the semifinal round, only to be left out of the the final round. I am truly hoping The Long Mars makes a stronger showing as I do feel it was a stronger novel.

Another book from this blog that has been written into the competition is Nina LaCour's Everything Leads to You. However, I do believe I will be sticking with my original vote for E. Lockheart's We Were Liars for the Best Young Adult Fiction category. I have no real issue with LaCour's book, I just think that Lockheart's was better. I also don't think that LaCour's was good enough to be considered the absolute best of the year.

None of my other votes will be changing either, but I know there are plenty of people out there who will be changing theirs in favor of some of the new entries. If the competition wasn't stiff enough, the chance to enter write-ins has shown the importance of standing by your favorites. Many times a book that wasn't originally nominated has come from out of nowhere and taken the coveted title.

The semifinal round will be open to voting through Saturday, November 15th. I suggest getting your votes out there, and then checking back on Monday, November 17th when the final round of voting will begin. 

No comments: