Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Winners of the 2013 Goodreads Choice Awards

The people have spoken and the results are in. Here are the winners of the 2013 Goodreads Choice Awards.

For fiction, I am very pleased to see that my second choice, Khaled Hosseini's And the Mountains Echoed, took home the prize for Best Fiction. And actually, out of all of my choices, this will be the only book that actually won in its category. But let's face it, there was some really stiff competition out there.

In a bit of a surprise, at least to me anyway, both Stephen King and Robert Galbraith (an alias for J.K. Rowling) lost to Dan Brown's Inferno for best Mystery & Thriller, with Galbraith losing just barely.

Kate Atkinson's Life After Life took home the prize for Best Historical Fiction, while Malala Yousafzai took the Best Memoir prize by a very large margin with her book I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban.

And then of course, in my favorite category, Rainbow Rowell took not only first place, but also second place when it came to Best Young Adult Fiction. While I voted for Fangirl, it was Eleanor & Park that took first place, with Fangirl coming in at a close second. I am almost certain that this the first time one author has taken both the first and second place in a Goodreads Choice Awards category.

And there you have it. Now we look forward to 2014 and the wonderful books the year is sure to bring us.

No comments: